Awoken Liu Bei has been released in North America and has caused quite the storm with his arrival. However, his true power is not as apparent as other top tier leaders and I want to explore why Liu Bei is relevant and how you go about making a successful team for him.
Liu Bei at a glance
Recover 20% Max HP and 2 turn bind clear
10 turn CD
2.5x ATK when matching 6 linked wood orbs. Max 4x at 9 orbs. 2x ATK / 2x RCV for Wood on turn skill used
64x ATK / 4x RCV
Awoken Liu Bei would normally be a lackluster leader due to the active clause for additional healing and recovery. Granted you would probably be needing an active to match 9 wood orbs, but we have seen from before that skill delays (or in the case of skill binds due to no SBR ) can ruin these types of leaders. However, with the introduction of coop, we now have the actives from 10 different monsters as well as their awakenings. As such, Awoken Liu Bei teams are able to form a push button team to farm some of the most challenging content available.
Mythic Plus Linthia Descended:
Mythic Plus Devil Devil Rush:
You can do your own further research by using the search term 覚醒劉備
- 64x ATK on full board changers while stacking wood rows
- Unbindable leaders
- Can make use of multiple Zeus Dios for an easy button team
- Zeus-Dios can also be skilled up via Hera-Beorc, God Rush, and Hera Rush
- Can button your way through some Mythic Plus content
- Next level of coop button farming
- Subs are mostly farmable and easy to acquire
- Active can clear binds along while forming wood orbs
- Can pair with other leaders
- Powerful as a sub due to the 3-part active
- Artwork worthy of an warlord and has simply fabulous hair
- No HP multiplier
- Less applications outside of a button team
- Active skill reliant for both damage and recovery
- Only valuable in coop
- Low single player value
- Combo shields can be a problem
- Is Liu Bei really Bae?
What awakenings do I prioritize?
Awoken Liu Bei will mostly be regulated to a push-button farming team and will be trying to utilize as many Zeus-Dios as possible to hasten your progress. As such, the full board benefits the most from wood row awakenings.
Your playstyle will be mostly using a full board changer, swiping right (no you are not playing Tinder), and cackling at your burst damage. As such, there is little thought required when playing an ideal Liu Bei team; however, if you are forced to match a non-full green board, you should try and connect 9+ wood orbs while triggering your row bonus.
Team Building Options
As discussed above, Awoken Liu Bei will mostly be regulated to a powerful push-button team that is capable of clearing some Mythic Plus content. In addition, you will need to bring as many Zeus-Dios as required to handle each floor (each Dios ensures a kill on a single floor). Furthermore, you will need to bring any utility required along with sufficient skill boosts to have your Zeus-Dios’s ready by turn 1. Thankfully, the core Liu Bei team consists of farmable monsters.
Farmable core subs:
- Zeus Dios is your bread and butter card for Awoken Liu Bei teams. Every time you use his active you are ensuring you sweep the floor. In addition, he also has the multiplayer boost awakening along with two skill boosts to ensure massive damage and readily available actives. You will bring 2-4 depending on the dungeon and having them max skilled (or as close as possible) is required.
- Tengu is a valuable sub on Awoken Liu Bei due to his 4 skill boosts and 4-turn base cooldown. This enables you to have your actives ready for turn one while acting as a base for skill inheritance should you require more utility.
- Griffin is a collateral drop from farming Zeus-Dios Descended and is a powerful sub on Awoken Liu Bei teams. Griffin provides a single row, but their main appeal is the 3 turn base cooldown that can be used as a base for skill inheritance that has a strong possibility of being ready again for the boss as a wood orb enhance after using Zeus-Dios’s active for 30 enhanced orbs.
- Hera-Beorc is a much prettier alternative to Griffin. However, she requires much more investment and only caps out at 7 turns which makes her a less desirable base for Skill Inheritance. Furthermore, she will not be ready for the boss to enhance the orbs if using her as a base for another active skill.
Valuable REM subs:
- Balboa offers a 100% defense void which enables you to easily bypass PreDRAs or any other high defense encounter. Allows you to simply match a single set of wood orbs or sub attribute colours to bypass.
- Algedi is an often forgotten sub for Awoken Liu Bei due to her disappointing debut months ago. However, the meta has changed with Skill Inheritance allowing subs with low base cooldowns to act as bases for more powerful actives. As such, Algedi can be max skilled to 3-turns and provides two wood rows and God Killer awakenings. The main difference between using Griffin and Algedi is if you are able to reuse their base active in time for the final floor (Griffin is superior in this sense due to full enhanced board).
- Awoken Freyja offers 2x damage for wood cards for two turns. This is fantastic as it allows you to easily destroy two floors. Furthermore, her two skill bind resist awakenings make it easier to achieve 100% immunity should the dungeon have these preemptives.
- Awoken Artemis has a skill that is similar to Liu Bei and can be used in lieu of additional Zeus Dios to form a 64x wood rows.
- Green Sonia has an amazing array of awakenings and an active that spawns wood and dark orbs. This is a feasibly Dios replacement as you are most likely going to spawn over 9 wood orbs. However, just keep in mind that her distribution is random.
- Perseus deserves mentioning due to his helpful wood/heart active. However, it is his double SBR that propels him higher as Awoken Liu Bei teams tend to struggle hitting 100%.
You can honestly use what ever sub you please provided you can have your Zeus-Dios actives ready by turn one. You may not be able to cover all the utility required and will have to dip into Skill Inheritance to do so.
Your team roster will vary according to what dungeon you are trying to button farm; however, you should always bring 2+ Zeus Dios (usually 3) to ensure easy kills. I am going to presume you are always going to play in coop so you and your partner can work out the finer details. As a final piece of advice, you should arrange your subs from left to right in order of usage to allow for more mindless button mashing.
Due to the majority of your team comprising of Zeus-Dios, you will need to look towards Skill Inheritance to offer the utility required to counter the various dungeon mechanics. It is also common practice to use Tengu or Griffin as a base for Skill Inheritance.
What you choose to use will depend on the cards you have at your disposal along with the requirements of the dungeon. I highly recommend you read my Skill Inheritance: Advanced Strategies article as it will provide you with a wealth of information on how to make the most of your actives.
Latent Awakening set-up
Due to the fact you are planning on push-buttoning your way to victory, latents are of lower concern. I would simply use them as you see fit. You may benefit from Skill Delay latents as a means to protect yourself and your actives. You can of course use skill inheritance, but that may become costly considering Skill Delays are now a rare invade in PreDRA Infestation.
Alternative leader pairings
If you are like Mantastic and are not fortunate enough to own Liu Bei, you can still form a powerful push button team by utilizing a different leader. Just be aware you will have a lower multiplier so make sure you can Dios-nuke the floor. One nice benefit of a different leader is you gain access to a new active and utility. Just note that Australis only grants the higher end of multipliers to machine types.
80% dmg red.
Awoken Liu Bei is the next step in push-button dominance due to the sheer power of 64x while stacking wood rows combined with a full 30-wood orb board. While it may not be as puzzling as other teams, you cannot deny the sheer power and potential of a Liu Bei / Zeus-Dios team in coop. I would suggest you try to assemble the team as fast as you can because there will be a powercreep answer in the future. It is always best to try and stay as close to the current meta to take advantage of this glorious and mindless button team.