You Yu, or Bamboo, is the third released card of the Four Gentlemen series (300,000 MP monster) and pushes the boundaries on the next level of powercreep in terms of damage output. Capping out at 156.25x ATK on a mono colour team allows you to deal spectacular damage with the ability to control your output through a scaling multiplier. You will need to use Skill Inheritance to help address fragility and somewhat orb hungry nature, but that is the price to pay for explosive damage. Thankfully, you do not have to use numerous You Yu’s to form an effective team which is a nice change of pace from Xiang Mei . However, the real question is: do you really need to purchase You Yu?
You Yu at a glance
1.5x ATK Attacker types
7 turn CD
1.5x ATK when matching 2 water combos. Max 2.5x (4 combos). 5x ATK when matching 5 connected orbs with 1 enhanced.
|You Yu Scaling Leader Skill|
|# water combos||1||2||3||4|
|Multiplier w/ 5o1e||25x||56.25x||100x||156.25x|
You Yu lacks dual typing and does not have a sub attribute. This seems bizarre for a 300k MP Monster; however, his leadership power brings fourth the next wave of powercreep in terms of damage output. Below is a sample video of a solo Mech Hera run to give you an idea of his capabilities:
- 156.25x ATK multiplier. Next level of damage
- Trivializes high health/defense bosses
- Able to control damage through the number of matched water combos and TPA (if using those subs)
- Low base cooldown on You Yu allows him to benefit from Skill Inheritance
- Skill Inheritance helps address the fragility and somewhat orb hungry nature of the team.
- Considered a high end leader with the right support
- Balance Killer awakening grants 3x damage to balance type bosses
- Able to deal Tonnes of Damage without type restriction
- Can pair with various other leads to add diversification (aka survivability)
- You (not You Yu) can use your own water leads and pair with a You Yu
- You puns
- I’m a big fan of his fans
- Fragile. You Yu has no HP / RCV multiplier. The health can be compensated in coop, but you will still struggle to recover after attacks, especially in solo
- Vulnerable to binds and is dependent on subs to remove them.
- Virtually no uses as a sub
- Do you really need to purchase him with the announcement of Uuevo Sarasvati ? She is caps out at 100x for a very similar leader skill. Full Comparison can be found HERE
- Costs 300,000 Monster Points
- Somewhat orb hungry although 8 water orbs = 56.25x ATK
- Someone will either call him Yo Yo or Yu You (I will butcher his and any other Asian name when I resume streaming)
- Is not a pretty girl and not even a pretty guy
What awakenings do I prioritize?
Due to the leader skill restriction that requires you to have 14 water orbs and 4 unique combos for 156.25x damage, you are unable to benefit from water row awakenings due to spacing issues. As such, your focus should be on enhanced water orbs with some emphasis on TPA to help with burst on less water-heavy boards.
Your playstyle will feel very similar to Sarasvati who has just received a new evolution in JP and arguably removes the need to purchase You Yu. In addition, you are able to pair You Yu with either Skuld or Sumire to increase your survivability. This also means you do not need to purchase You Yu and can instead find a friend to piggyback off. Even with the release of Uuevo Sarasvati, you are unable to fully proc both your leader skills without the assistance of skyfalls.
How to save 300k MP
Team Building Options
You Yu mostly requires water orb changers and utility as needed to counter various dungeon mechanics. Who you decide to bring will be based on your box, but ideally try to bring subs with enhanced orb awakenings, quick orb changers, and skyfall mechanics. If you are missing too many of the higher tier subs, it may be best to rethink purchasing You Yu.
Higher tier subs:
- Nut is an often forgotten card who has not found a true home outside of Rukia due to the popularity of row-based teams. However, her awakenings are Fantastic for You Yu along with her active. Nut’s active converts the entire left column into water. This can override jammers/poison along with guaranteeing 5 orbs that can be easily moved into the 5o1e pattern.
- Awoken Hermes has lost his God typing and desirability on Neptune Dragon teams; however, he is a stellar card for You Yu due to the powerful double water orb generating active and skyfall mechanic. Through his active, you are nearly guaranteed to produce sufficient water orbs for maximum burst damage and the skyfalls help keep the water flowing. In addition, he can be combo-ed with nearly every other board changer (outside of Skuld) to produce a 2/3 water board.
- Sumire is another monster who will begin to shoot up in popularity with the release of their ultimate evolution. You are also able to take advantage of their leader skill should you wish to pair a You Yu friend. However, as a sub, Sumire guarantees 3 new water and heart orbs. This is great when used in conjunction after other board changers to give yourself just enough water orbs for lethal damage. In addition, the extra second to move orbs can be invaluable when setting up your board.
- Skuld is another card you are able to use as a leader pairing, but her active and awakenings make her a desired sub for You Yu. Tri-colour board changers that produce hearts are always more desired than those that produce non-hearts unless you need them for a specific orb changer combo. However, Skuld can be the victim to bad RNG and you should have a back up active in case she fails to produce sufficient water orbs. One thing that helps Skuld is her numerous non-wood orb enhances that help ensure your orbs retain their enhanced status after changing.
- Summer Urd is a great alternative to Skuld as she provides a tri-colour board change that produces fire, water, and heart orbs. What makes Summer Urd’s active better is the ability to combo with more cards. Skuld is unable to use Hermes due to the entire board being converted to water. Furthermore, Urd can combo her hearts with Andromeda to produce a 2/3 water, 1/3 heal board. She is also wearing a swimsuit so that is hard to resist.
- Orochi may be considered a core sub; however, the delay is not always needed and would be replaced with more orb changers if possible. With that being said, Orochi is the best option you have for a delay as he provides 4 extra turns to either stall, wait out a specific absorb/shield, or give you some extra breathing room.
- Isis is your best bind clearing option but is not always needed in every encounter. She provides 2 turns of bind removal on a 3 turn cooldown. This is Fantastic as she will almost always be ready when you need her and you can use her as a base for Skill Inheritance so you can take advantage of a different active once the bind clear has been fulfilled.
- Alrescha has been an often overlooked water sub due to a lack of TPA or row enhancement. However, the dual enhanced water , heart orb , and SBR provide damage, augmented healing, and team flexibility. Furthermore, she is slated to receive a powerful new evolution that will catapult her status to near top tier. Lastly, the ability to remove poison and jammer orbs can alleviate the strain of using a full board changer.
- Andromeda may not have any orb enhances, but the sheer power of her active cannot be overlooked. She has great synergy with Summer Urd and the enhanced heart orb component to her active is amazing for fully restoring your health. In addition, she has a large chunk of health and RCV to help compensate for You Yu’s fragility.
- Gabriel is in a similar boat as Andormeda as he provides a valuable water and enhanced heart orb active along with high base recovery. In addition, the 4 autoheal awakenings provide a substantial boost to healing. Lastly, his attacker typing does benefit from You Yu’s active, but you are rarely going to be using it due to Skill Inheritance.
- Holy Scheat! 5 TPA awakenings! Unfortuantely, they largely go to waste as you are always better off matching an extra water combo instead of a TPA. Furthermore, the naturally low base ATK can be annoying although You Yu will compromise through his giant multiplier. However, Scheat’s main appeal will be her incredible active that acts as a double orb change, poison and jammer removal, and 4 turn skyfall buff. Plenty of value within a single active.
- Ryune has an active that functions similarly to Skuld, but comes with less ideal awakenings due to the wasted water rows and no enhanced orbs.
Subs that act as great bases for Skill Inheritance
These subs are not that great on their own; however, with the introduction of Skill Inheritance, you are able to benefit form their fantastic awakenings while using a much stronger active.
- Acubens has been generally overlooked due to his poor active, but with the introduction of Skill Inheritance, he is starting to make a comeback. Sporting 4 water orb enhances and a God Killer awakening, he is able to add a significant amount of passive damage. Furthermore, his active has a measly 3 turn base cooldown and you can inherit something of more value as you see fit.
- Christmas Paulina has an amazing 5 enhanced water orbs (albeit no SBR ) along with a 4 turn cooldown active that can be useful in its own right. The secondary enhanced wood orbs also help with full board conversions as they will retain their enhanced status once changed. However, you will mostly be using Paulina for her awakenings and inheriting another active on top of hers.
You can any water sub you like and this list was mostly made to help give you some direction on the more “ideal” subs to bring. The end decision will ultimately be based upon the dungeon requirements and your box capabilities.
One nice benefit of using You Yu is his team building flexibility due to no type restriction. This gives you free reign to build a team that can address the dungeon mechanics while catering to your box capabilities. There will naturally be superior sub choices such as running Skuld over Ryune, but you will have to work with what you are given. If you want to find more inspiration on YouTube, simply search with the keywords: 蒼竹の君子・ヨウユウ
Super Ultimate Extreme Dragon Rush Solo (video)
Solo Arena 1 (video)
Almost all of my YouYube searches produced teams that included Awoken Hermes and Nut with the other subs being used as needed to counteract the various dungeon mechanics.
Can I use non-attacker cards?
Yes! You already produce so much damage that there is no need to try and accomidate Attacker subs to benefit from the 50% boost from You Yu’s active. Furthermore, You Yu will most likely be a base for Skill Inheritance as his active is rather lackluster.
You Yu will almost always be used as a base for Skill Inheritance as it will help address orb fatigue, survivability, and any other mechanic you encounter.
What you choose to use will depend on the cards you have at your disposal along with the requirements of the dungeon. I did not list bind clearing as You Yu can be bound and essentially defeats the purpose.
I highly recommend you read my Skill Inheritance: Advanced Strategies article as it will provide you with a wealth of information on how to make the most of your actives.
Latent Awakening set-up
You Yu does not require any specific latents to shine. Outside of a single rainbow resist (as a means to survive 100% gravities by having 1% of each colour), you are quite free to do as you please. You already deal enough damage that attack latents are somewhat overkill. However, many people will argue about the viability of skill delay resists to protect your actives. However, the need to run them has somewhat been diminished through skill inheritance as you are able to protect yourself by using the additional cooldown timer as a “shield” against delays.
If you are doing coop, your survivability dramatically increases as you benefit from the health of your partner’s subs. This also allows you to bring more actives and acts as a pseudo protection against skill delay as bosses can only delay one team at a time.
You Yu has a lovely armpit and even lovelier damage output. He pushes the limits of easy damage activation and is capable of sweeping essentially any boss in the game. However, with the advent of numerous other 100x leads, do you really need to purchase another glass cannon? To make matters worse, Uuevo Sarasvati will be released in a month or two and is arguably on par with You Yu (I will do a subsequent follow up post on that matter shortly).
Let me know if you are planning on purchasing You Yu or even pairing your own Sarasvati, Skuld, or Sumire with a friend.